Service learning is a major element of all three IB programmes and during their school years, students are encouraged to give of their time and talents to others. This can be within our own school community, the local community surrounding the school, Vienna, the orphanage we support in Romania and Waluka Primary School in Kenya.
A sample of past service activities are below:
- Early elementary made winter crafts to sell at the Waluka Winter Bazaar.
- Grade 2 organised an elementary assembly on 'healthy living'.
- Grade 3 wrote letters to orphans in Russia.
- Grade 4 collected colourful boxes for Project Centipede.
- Grade 5 volunteered for the elementary conflict team.
- Grade 6 organised a Grade 5, 6 and 7 student disco to raise money for Waluka.
- Grade 7 worked with the elementary German department to prepare classroom materials.
- Grade 8 coordinated Project Centipede.
- Grade 9 organised a sponsored whole school 'Read-a-thon'.
- Some Grade 10 students visited Waluka Primary School and then presented at various school events.
- Grade 11 set up and ran DanubeTV.
- Grade 12 developed links with CARITAS and ensured 'lost clothing' donations.
- Grade 2 to Grade 12 students participated in the student council.